Monday, December 6, 2010

Well our workshop with Dale Pitts has come and gone and we have to say we all learned a lot and so appreciate Dale's love and dedication for the sport. Sat morning kicked off with a lecture on Dale's training philosophy and then right to tracking. I tell you for me tracking is like watching paint dry while the whole time you are holding your breath. Dale brought it to life for me at least. I could actually SEE when the dog got it and gain a much better understanding of reading the dog on the track. I can't even begin to tell you how simple it was, but he just brought it home!!!

Sat afternoon was obedience and our club has several new members who have only done AKC obedience and have never seen anything closely related to Schutzhund- IPO work. All the dogs had a great time and everyone picked up many valuable tips to make training easier and more fun.

Sun was IPO and most of the dogs had never been exposed to it so we started of working with the flirt pole to build prey drive. I will say I had two very big thrills - First my little Tuxedo man is growing up and he was all about the prey - surprised the heck out of me as he showed tons of drive and confidence.

But the real thrill for me was when my Gunny boy got to come out on the field and do a little work. He has been out of work for a couple years plagued by injury and two shoulder surgeries. So I have taken it real slow and easy with him. To get to work him again and see him come out fired up and ready to work and shine like the awesome dog he is brought tears to my eyes. He did not miss a step - it was like he just did it yesterday. After I put him up I just broke down and had a good cry.

As always he showed the heart, courage and love for the work. This dog has taught me so much through our journey together and I want to thank Dale for working with him and letting him do what he so loves to do.

The workshop was definitely a success and Dale made it so. Our club will have two new members thanks to Dales awesome training. Thanks Dale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment